Sometimes a girl just needs a bowl of cereal.
And cereal, like most things, is easy enough to adapt to fit the Trim Healthy Mama lifestyle! (What’s not to love about this plan?!)
My latest favorite?
…this Coconut Macaroon Cereal that literally tastes like a coconut macaroon cookie! It’s perfectly sweet and keeps its bite when served in a bowl of cashew milk or stirred into a generous helping of Greek yogurt and berries (my favorite way to enjoy it!).
You don’t need any special ingredients to make it either:
- unsweetened shredded coconut
- blanched sliced almonds (crushed into pieces)
- xylitol (or use half the amount in Gentle Sweet)
- vanilla extract
- almond extract
- egg whites
- mineral salt
My hubby and kids all agree: it tastes like a crumbled up coconut macaroon cookie!
The combination of coconut meat, crushed almond pieces, and egg whites together is a great source of protein, but the real coconut macaroon cookie flavor comes from the addition of sweetener, salt, and two very important, pure extracts:
Pure Vanilla Extract
Pure Almond Extract
You could leave the seemingly insignificant bit of almond extract out of the recipe, but I don’t recommend it. That tiny amount yields a world of wonderful flavor to this cereal!
This cereal is best stored in the fridge in an air-tight container. I keep mine in a Mason jar.
This gluten-free, dairy-free cereal that tastes like a coconut macaroon cookie is a sweet way to start your day! Enjoy with a nut milk, or in a bowl with yogurt and berries!
- 1 1/3 cups unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1 cup sliced almonds, crushed into pieces
- 1/3 cup xylitol
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp almond exract
- 2 egg whites
- pinch of sea salt
- Pre-heat oven to 400 F. Combine all ingredients together in a medium sized bowl.
- Line cookie sheet with parchment paper. Spread coconut mixture evenly on top. Bake at 400 F for 5-7 minutes, stirring once, half way through. Cool completely before storing in an air-tight container.
It is VERY IMPORTANT to watch your cereal closely while it bakes! 30 seconds too long in the oven can burn your batch! Remove from the oven when it begins to turn golden.
Want to enjoy the taste of coconut in other ways on-plan? Try these favorites: