Spicy Sweet Potato Soup with a slice of sprouted bread is my new favorite Trim Healthy Mama-friendly E lunch!
The heat from the spices in this Indian-flavored soup work perfectly with the sweet potatoes, and the creamy addition of 0% Greek yogurt balances out the flavors while adding a great source of protein to your meal.
This soup will warm you from the inside out, and yet the heat level is completely adjustable to each person in your family! The more yogurt you swirl in, the milder the flavor and higher the protein content.
This Spicy Sweet Potato Soup keeps well in the fridge for days (so you can have easy E lunches all week long), and it freezes well, too.
Spicy Sweet Potato Soup, like many E meals, is a frugal choice. No special ingredients are needed:
- coconut oil
- sweet potatoes
- red bell pepper
- curry powder
- ground ginger
- mineral saltand pepper to taste
- chicken broth
- 0% fat Greek yogurt
If you have very small children, or really don’t care much for heat yourself, feel free to decrease the amount of curry powder in the recipe to 1 or 1 1/2 tablespoons instead.
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp paprika
- 3 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 red bell pepper
- mineral salt and ground pepper to taste
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups 0% fat Greek yogurt
- In a large soup pot, heat coconut oil, onions together over medium heat until onions are soft. Add in garlic and cook for another 2 minutes. Add in curry, ginger, paprika, sweet potatoes, bell pepper, mineral salt, and ground pepper. Stir. Add chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Simmer for 20 minutes, or until veggies are very soft. Puree until smooth in a blender.
- Return to pot to heat through before serving. Stir in a quarter to a half cup 0% fat Greek yogurt in each bowl immediately before serving.