This Hearty Garden Vegetable Soup makes the most of this time of year when everything in the garden seems to be ready at the same time! A Trim Healthy Mama E meal, you can serve this soup with a slice or two of sprouted or sourdough bread for dunking.
Generally, beef is not an acceptable ingredient in E meals because red meats are too high in fat for carb-based meals. However, extra lean (look for 96% or higher) that’s been rinsed in hot water (you can do this in a colander) to remove any excess fat after it’s been browned, fits within Trim Healthy Mama’s E meal guidelines.
For this Hearty Garden Vegetable Soup, you can brown your meat first, rinse it, and then put it back in the pan before scramble frying it with your spices and adding the other ingredients.
Since this is an E meal, you can add whatever veggie (except white potatoes) your heart desires to this soup! Zucchini, corn, tomatoes, beans, peppers, carrots, sweet potatoes, squash, onions, celery…the list is pretty much endless! If you plan on freezing this soup, leave out flowering veggies like broccoli and cauliflower until you’re ready to re-heat. They may get mushy otherwise.
I’ve included my favorite combination of soup veggies here….and the ones my kids will eat without wrinkling up their noses. 😉
Like all the other recipes on my site, you don’t need any special ingredients for this Hearty Vegetable Soup:
- extra lean ground beef (rinsed)
- spices (curry, parsley, oregano, thyme, paprika, mineral salt, black pepper, a few bay leaves)
- a pile of veggies
- crushed tomatoes
- chicken broth
- water (optional)
- 1lb extra lean ground beef, rinsed
- 1/2 tbsp curry powder
- 1/2 tbsp dried parsley
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 2 onions, diced
- 5 stalks celery, chopped
- 4-5 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 28oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 3 bay leaves
- water (if you'd like a runnier soup)
- Optional Add-Ins:
- green beans
- Fry extra lean ground beef in a large soup pan. Rinse under hot water in a colander to remove any excess fat. Return to pan. Add in seasonings and fry together for a few minutes. Stir in vegetables and cook, partially covered over medium-low heat until veggies are tender-crisp, stirring often. Pour in chicken broth, canned tomatoes, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Boil for 20 minutes. Simmer until ready to serve.
Looking for more soup to use your garden veggies in? Here are some of my other favorite Trim Healthy Mama-friendly recipes!
(You can check out my whole THM Soups archive here)