Fudgy Brownies without dairy, sugar, or gluten?! Yep! It’s a thing – a thing so good, I’d make these Double Chocolate Brownies even if I didn’t want to eat healthy (but why not do your body good, when it’s this easy and delicious?!)
These Double Chocolate Brownies are a Trim Healthy Mama S treat because they’re full of healthy fats and low in carbs. They taste wonderful straight out of the oven, but refrigerated and enjoyed the next day, they are almost like eating fudge!
Coconut is the star in these Double Chocolate Brownies, even though you can’t really taste it. If you’re not concerned about these brownies being dairy-free, you can replace the coconut oil with butter or ghee in the same amount, but the 1/4 cup of canned coconut milk is essential to the amazing, fudge-like texture!
Organic Canned Coconut Milk
If your canned coconut milk has separated a bit, pour it into a bowl, whisk it together again, and then measure it for this recipe. You’ll have leftover canned coconut milk, but it’s perfect to use in a chicken curry, or this dairy-free Peanut Butter Cup Pudding!
I used 100% unsweetened baker’s chocolate for this recipe. You can find it in any grocery store, or use a quality chocolate that’s 85% cocoa or higher for a brownie that’s a bit sweeter.
If you prefer, you can use Gentle Sweet in half the amount, or Super Sweet in a quarter of the amount of xylitol called for here. 2 tsp of stevia would also work, but it’s not my favorite sweetener to use in baking because I can detect an aftertaste, and it lacks the granular bulk that’s often needed in baked goods (you can read more of my top THM Baking Tips & Tricks here).
Fudgy Brownies without dairy, sugar, or gluten?! Yep! It's a thing! I'd make these Double Chocolate Brownies even if I didn't want to eat healthy! A THM S.
- 4 oz. unsweetened baking chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter or coconut oil
- 1/4 cup canned coconut milk
- 1 cup xylitol (OR 1/2 cup Gentle Sweet)
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of mineral salt
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 325 F. Lightly grease an 8x8" baking pan with butter.
- In a medium saucepan, melt unsweetened chocolate, butter or coconut oil, canned coconut milk, and xylitol together. Whisk until smooth.
- In another bowl, stir almond flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and pinch of mineral salt together. Whisk in lightly beaten eggs and melted chocolate mixture until smooth. Pour into prepared pan. Bake at 325 F. for 30 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely and cut into 18 bars. Store in an airtight containter in the fridge.