This Mushroom, Chicken, & Rice Pilaf recipe is an adaptation of my Fuel Pull recipe, Pork Tenderloin With Mushroom Gravy. The gravy is SO good, I didn’t want to change a thing about it, but I switched up the meat and turned it into a Trim Healthy Mama-friendly E pilaf by adding in some brown rice and carrots.
You can also serve this Mushroom, Chicken & Rice Pilaf deconstructed. Dutch people have a habit of mixing all the food on their plate into a “prakje,” but if you want a different presentation of the same recipe, you can also serve the chicken and mushroom sauce over a bed of rice and serve your carrots on the side.
The nice thing about serving this dish as a pilaf, is that you can make it ahead of time, freeze or refrigerate, and re-heat, covered.
This is a great recipe to use up leftover cooked chicken in, but if you don’t have any on hand, it’s easy enough to cook up 4 breasts. I cook my chicken breasts, covered, on a stone bar pan at 450 for 20 minutes. Cooking them at a higher temperature for a shorter amount of time sears in the juices and leaves the meat moist and succulent instead of dry.
Cooking them on stone removes the need for excess fat in a recipe; you don’t need to oil a seasoned stone at all. These are ideal pans for E meals!
You don’t need any special ingredients to make this Mushroom, Chicken & Rice pilaf:
- chicken breasts
- chicken broth
- salt and pepper
- xanthan gum
- brown rice
The gravy is meant to flavor both the brown rice and meat its served over, so there’s no need to glorify the rice any other way. I chose to use steamed carrots in this dish because they fit nicely with an E meal and they add plenty of color and vitamins, but you can also use peas, green beans, broccoli, or maybe a little corn.
- 4 chicken breasts, cooked and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 Tbsp butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
- 6 small carrots, peeled, chopped, and steamed until tender
- Heat butter in a large saucepan. Saute onions until soft. Add mushrooms, thyme, salt, and pepper, and saute until mushrooms shrink and brown. Pour in chicken broth, stirring to scrape up any brown bits. Add in cooked chicken. Cook for 5 minutes. Stir in parsley and xanthan gum until xanthan gum is completely dissolved and sauce is thickened.
- Option 1: Spoon over brown rice and serve with a side of carrots.
- Option 2: Remove from heat, and stir in cooked brown rice and steamed carrots. Spread into a 9x13" pan and cover with foil. Refrigerate or freeze until needed. Pre-heat oven to 350 F and reheat, covered for 30 minutes.
You can also serve this Mushroom, Chicken & Rice Pilaf deconstructed, by pouring the chicken and mushroom sauce over a bed of rice with carrots on the side.