After cheesecake, or maybe even tied with it, one of my favorite desserts pre-THM was tiramisu. Coffee flavored sponge, sweet and fluffy mascarpone layers, whipped cream, and cocoa powder…what’s not to love?!
I so badly wanted to make a tiramisu that was 100% Trim Healthy Mama-friendly, but figuring out a replacement for the traditional use of ladyfingers in the recipe had me stumped for a good long while. I already had a good sponge cake recipe I could alter, but soaking it in coffee would most definitely cause it to disintegrate. I needed a sponge cake that would stay spongy if I infused it with coffee flavor from the outside.
Eventually, I came up with a rich chocolate espresso glaze made from 85% Lindt chocolate, instant espresso powder, vanilla extract, sweetener, sea salt, a bit of butter, and a splash of cream that I paired with a mascarpone mousse and sponge cake layers in a trifle large enough to feed a dozen people!
The mascarpone mousse is a simply delicious filling made from egg yolks, mascarpone cheese, on-plan sweetener (I used xylitol, but you could use half the amount in Gentle Sweet), and whipping cream. A little cocoa powder to dust the top of the tiramisu trifle, and this dessert is the closest thing I’ve ever had to one of my most missed indulgences!
If you’re a tiramisu lover, I hope you enjoy this trifle as much as we do!
This decadent, low-carb, tiramisu trifle is the perfect dessert to serve a large, coffee-loving crowd! A Trim Healthy Mama S. Best made the day before.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup 0% fat Greek yogurt, regular Greek yogurt, or sour cream
- 4 Tbsp xylitol
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 Tbsp pysllium husk powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- COFFEE LAYER
- 3 ounces 85% Lindt chocolate, chopped
- 1 1/2 tbsp butter
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup xylitol
- 1 1/2 tbsp instant espresso powder
- MASCARPONE LAYER
- 6 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup xylitol
- 1 1/4 cups mascarpone cheese, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
- To make the sponge cake cubes, preheat oven to 350 F. Line 8x8" square glass baking pan with parchment paper.
- Melt butter and let it cool.
- Beat eggs for 5-6 minutes until very light and fluffy. Add in cooled butter, yogurt, and xylitol. Mix thoroughly.
- In a separate bowl, stir dry ingredients together. Add to wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Pour batter into pan and bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely and cut into 1" cubes. Set these aside while you make the other layers.
- To make the coffee layer, melt all the coffee glaze ingredients together in a saucepan over low heat. Set aside until assembly time.
- To make the mascarpone layer, combine egg yolks and xylitol in saucepan and cook on low for about 10 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat and whip yolks until thick. Add mascarpone to whipped yolks, beat until combined. In separate bowl, whip cream until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the whipped cream in the mascarpone mixture.
- Assemble the tiramisu trifle in the following order in one large bowl, or 10-12 individual desser glasses: coffee layer, cake layer, coffee layer, mascarpone layer, cake layer, coffee layer, mascarpone layer, cake layer, coffee layer, mascarpone layer, cake layer, coffee layer, mascarpone layer. Dust the top layer of mascarpone mousse with cocoa powder. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.