Along with Chicago style popcorn, apple turnovers, and my Grandma’s cookies, my other great weakness is Costco’s Lemon yogurt cake.
Silly, but true!
If it’s in the house, I cannot resist it, and once I start going, I can’t stop. Unfortunately, it’s terribly unhealthy, but that fact was the catalyst for creating a Trim Healthy Mama-friendly Lemon Yogurt Cake that I can enjoy without expansion. 😀
This recipe for Lemon Yogurt Cake is equally moist and lemon-y, but it’s low in carbs, gluten-free, sugar-free, and high in protein. To keep it from being too calorie-dense, I used a combination of [easyazon_link identifier=”B00DL9LNNU” locale=”US” tag=”northern-nester-ea-20″]almond flour[/easyazon_link], [easyazon_link identifier=”B00MFC5JVQ” locale=”US” tag=”northern-nester-ea-20″]coconut flour[/easyazon_link], and [easyazon_link identifier=”B001O8PRZA” locale=”US” tag=”northern-nester-ea-20″]golden flaxseed meal[/easyazon_link] instead of almond flour alone. Alternatively, you could use 1 cup of [easyazon_link identifier=”B01898YHXK” locale=”US” tag=”northern-nester-ea-20″]Trim Healthy Mama Baking Blend[/easyazon_link] instead of the no-special-ingredient mix.
My kids call this Lemon Yogurt Cake “Costco Cake,” because it really does taste like our bulk store favorite! It’s pound cake-like in texture, but unlike traditional pound cake, it’s harder to over-do it because this version is so high in protein that you’ll feel plenty satisfied after one piece!
This Lemon Yogurt Cake is delicious on its own , but I like it even better with whipped cream and berries for a pretty, easy dessert.
Lemon Yogurt Cake is a [easyazon_link identifier=”1101902639″ locale=”US” tag=”northern-nester-ea-20″]Trim Healthy Mama[/easyazon_link] S dessert because it’s a great source of protein, high in healthy fats, and low in carbs.
- 3/4 cup xylitol
- 3/4 cup Greek yogurt (any fat)
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 1/3 cup almond flour
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 1/3 cup golden flaxseed meal
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp mineral salt
- Optional: zest of one lemon
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease an 8x8" baking pan.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, beat xylitol, yogurt, eggs, melted butter, lemon extract, and optional lemon zest together for 2-3 minutes or until light and smooth.
- In a separate bowl, stir almond flour, coconut flour, golden flaxseed meal, baking powder, and salt together. Add to wet ingredients and stir until well-combined. Pour into prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely before serving.