I love the fresh taste and tang of Key Lime Pie, and think the effervescent taste of kefir is a natural fit for the flavor, so I used it as the base of this Trim Healthy Mama-friendly E Key Lime Kefir Smoothie.
See all those bubbles? I didn’t even blow through a straw to get them. 😀 Kefir just does that when you blend it up, but that’s not even its most amazing quality.
What’s really amazing about kefir is how good it is for you! It’s extremely high in probiotics (much more than yogurt) and can help heal your digestive system (or keep it running smoothly) by building or restoring the good bacteria in your gut.
Plus, low-fat kefir is an E-friendly ingredient, so it’s an amazing addition to fruit smoothies. You can even double-ferment your low-fat kefir and turn it into a Fuel Pull by letting it sit out at room temperature for 24 hours before returning to the fridge. The second ferment eats up more of the milk sugars and lowers the carb count in the kefir. It will still taste the same, but you’ll be able to do more things with a Fuel Pull ingredient (like use it in any setting!).
The inspiration for this E Key Lime Kefir Smoothie can from my S pie with the same Key Lime flavor…
This kefir smoothie doesn’t contain any special ingredients in the base:
- low-fat kefir
- half a small banana
- lime juice (I used bottled Santa Cruz pure lime juice)
- spinach for color (or the leftover liquid from cooked spinach)
- stevia powder
- ice cubes
You could also give it a protein boost by adding in some collagen, xanthum gum if you prefer a thicker smoothie, a drop or two of green food coloring, and a small dollop of fat-free Redi-Whip if you’re not a purist!
- 1 cup low-fat kefir (see note)
- 1/2 small banana
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1/8 tsp stevia powder
- 1/2 cup of fresh baby spinach (or a Tbsp or 2 of leftover green juices of cooked spinach, for color)
- 2-3 ice cubes
- Optional: 1 Tbsp collagen powder
- Optional: 1/2 tsp xanthan gum for thickening
- Optional: 2-3 drop green food coloring
- Optional: a small dollop of fat-free Reddi-Whip for garnish
- Add all ingredients to blender and blend until smooth. Enjoy immediately. Optional: garnish with a small dollop of fat-free Redi-Whip.
You can use low-fat kefir (an E), or double-fermented low-fat kefir (FP) in this smoothie. I prefer to double-ferment my kefir by letting it sit at room temperature for 24 hours before refrigerating. This eats up some of the milk sugars and cuts down on the overall carb-content.
You can increase the lime juice to 1 1/2 Tbsp if you prefer a stronger lime flavor.