If you’re planning on making a pitcher of iced tea to be enjoyed on a hot summer day, you may try to get a jump on preparation by brewing the tea ahead of time.
Find out how long brewed tea lasts so you have the right amount of flavors when the time comes to enjoy it.
When you think about iced tea, you might think about a can of sugary soda with a slight tea taste.
However, purists know that iced tea is actually regular tea but with ice. If you like this more natural drink, you will want to start by brewing a large pitcher of tea.
How long does brewed tea last? You can keep brewed tea in the refrigerator but only for a matter of days.
After that, the tea can grow bacteria, making it unsafe to drink. Find out more about brewing large batches of tea and how best to store it.
How long does brewed tea last in the fridge
Brewed tea will last 2 to 5 days in the fridge. Be sure to place the brewed tea in an airtight container. Simply putting plastic wrap over a container is not enough.
An airtight container will also keep the flavors in without exposing the tea to other more fragrant foods in your fridge, such as onions.
How long does brewed tea last in room temperature
The Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) states that brewed tea at room temperature is only good for 8 hours.
After this length of time, bacteria will start to grow, making it unsafe to drink.
How to make brewed tea last longer
- If you’re worried about keeping your tea in the fridge, there are a number of tips to make it last longer and still taste great.
- Put your brewed tea in an airtight container. Consider a jar with a screwed lid.
- Don’t add sugar until you plan on drinking it. Sugar helps bacteria grow, so the less there is in the tea, the fewer opportunity bacteria has to grow.
- Don’t scrimp on the quality of your tea leaves. Good tea leaves produce good tea.
- Brew a strong pot of tea. You’ll have to add ice cubes if you want iced tea which will naturally water it down. Start with a stronger brew in anticipation.
How to store brewed tea
Brewed tea should be stored in a tightly sealed container. The less exposure to air it has, the longer it will last.
Most people will use glass mason jars. Not only do these have screw-top lids but the glass material won’t interfere with the taste of the tea.
Ingredients that make brewed tea go bad faster
Sugar should be avoided when you place brewed tea in the fridge. Only add it once you are ready to drink the tea.
Health benefits of cold-brewed tea
- In addition to tasting good, cold-brewed tea actually has a lot of health benefits. So, if you need a few more reasons to make this delicious beverage, here they are.
- Cold-brewed tea is usually enjoyed when it’s hot out and this is the time when you need to stay hydrated. If plain water just doesn’t cut it, you can drink cold tea and have a refreshing drink that you can sip throughout the day.
- Just like hot brewed tea, cold-brewed is rich in antioxidants and essential minerals such as manganese.
- When it’s hot out, many people turn to sugary drinks such as soda. While they may hydrate you somewhat, the excess amount of sugar is clearly not ideal.
- Cold-brewed tea can offer a tasty, refreshing drink that often doesn’t include any sugar at all. And, if you do want it to be a bit sweeter, you are in charge of how much sugar goes in.
Recommended Post: Best Glass Teapot with Infuser, brewing tea is a form of art!
Hot tea vs cold brewed tea
Chances are, you’re well versed in making a pot of hot tea. But how does it compare to cold-brewed tea?
If you’ve ever been curious about trying something new, here are a few points about both hot and cold-brewed tea.
Hot brewed tea
- Gives a soothing experience
- Especially nice for when you’re sick
- You can make individual cups of tea
- Can quickly cool, leaving you with a lukewarm taste
- Needs to be drunk immediately after brewing
Cold brewed tea
- Refreshing on a hot summer day
- Large pitchers can be made for multiple people
- Usually needs ice which can water down the taste
Does made tea go bad?
Eventually, brewed tea will go bad. However, if you store it in an airtight container in the fridge, it can last for 2 to 5 days.
If you keep brewed tea at room temperature, it will only last for 8 hours.
How long does sun tea last in the fridge?
Sun tea is when you place tea leaves or a teabag in a jar of cold water and then place it in the sun to heat up.
Technically, this isn’t a very safe method as you will want the water to heat to at least 130 degrees Fahrenheit to kill any bacteria. However, if you want to give it a try, you can do so at your own risk.
Sun tea will last in the fridge for about 8 hours.
How do you store brewed tea?
To store brewed tea, place it in an airtight container, such as a jar with a screw lid. Then, place it in the refrigerator.
Does brewed tea need to be refrigerated?
Unless you plan on drinking brewed tea in the next hour or two after it is made, it should be placed in the refrigerator.
Can you get food poisoning from tea?
Yes, you can get food poisoning from tea if it is set out too long. Most food items will go bad and develop harmful bacteria if they are not properly stored or consumed within the recommended time.
Related Content: Best Tea Infuser Mug Reviews, find out what’s the best tea mug for you.
Tea is a delicious beverage and can be enjoyed both hot and cold.
If you plan on drinking cold-brewed tea, follow these guidelines for a delicious and safe drink.