If you love eggnog, you will love this low-carb, Trim Healthy Mama S Eggnog Dessert made with all the wonderful flavors of my favorite Holiday beverage! This Eggnog Dessert can be made as squares or into a pie, whatever you fancy. You’ll need either an 8×8″ baking dish or an 8″ pie plate.
A simple crust made from butter, almond flour (or you can use ground pecans), and sweetener (I used xylitol, but you could use Gentle Sweet in half the amount) allows the eggnog-flavored filling to shine. Free of special ingredients, this rich dessert is made with:
- egg yolks (of course!)
- a combination of whipping cream and half & half (to keep it from becoming too calorie dense)
- ground nutmeg
- rum extract
The whipped cream and nutmeg garnish is optional, but it really helps to pretty up this bland-looking, yet incredibly decadent dessert!
If you love eggnog, you will love this low-carb, Trim Healthy Mama S Eggnog Dessert made with all the wonderful flavors of my favorite Holiday beverage!
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 Tbsp xylitol (OR 1/2 Tbsp Gentle Sweet)
- 1 1/4 cups almond flour or pecan meal
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 3/4 cup half & half
- 1/3 cup xylitol
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp rum extract
- 1 Tbsp unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 6 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 Tbsp butter
- OPTIONAL GARNISH:
- naturally sweetened whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Melt butter in saucepan with xylitol until sweetener is dissolved. Remove from heat and stir in almond flour or pecan meal. Press into an 8x8" baking dish (or use a pie plate, if you prefer a pie instead of squares). Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until golden.
- To make the filling, add whipping cream, sweetener, and nutmeg to a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Cook for 6-8 minutes. Meanwhile, pour cold water over gelatin in a small bowl and let it soften for a minute. Whisk 1/4 of the warm cream mixture with egg yolks. Return egg yolk mixture to saucepan, whisking constantly. Whisk in softened gelatin and rum extract. Cook for 3-5 more minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in butter until melted. Cool to room temperature. Pour filling over crust. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or overnight.
- Optional: garnish with whipped cream and nutmeg before serving.