Frost on the ground in the morning, leaves turning every imaginable shade of red, orange, and yellow, and the house filling with “that furnace smell” for the first time of the season can only mean one thing: Fall has arrived and chili will be served regularly for the next few months!
We love pizza and we love chili; this recipe combines two of our favorite meals into one hearty, flavorful, slimming Trim Healthy Mama-friendly S dish.
A jar of sugar-free salsa and a can of sugar-free pizza sauce make preparation a breeze. Scramble frying bulk Hot Italian Sausage together with ground beef and adding in chunks of pepperoni make this chili incredibly man-pleasing. (Who am I kidding? This meat-loving woman is quite happy, too.)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jar sugar-free salsa
- 1 can sugar-free pizza sauce
- 1 can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 stick (8 ounces) of pepperoni, chopped
- 1-2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 tsp mineral salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 3 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
- In a heavy-duty saucepan or Dutch oven, scramble fry ground beef, sausage, onion, and pepper together until meat is no longer pink and onion is clear. Add in garlic and fry for another minute.
- Stir in remaining ingredients, except for cheese. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes (or for hours, if you'd like!). Serve with a hearty sprinkling of cheese on top.
If you'd like a Crossover, try adding some corn to the chili while it's simmering and serve with a dollop of sour cream and a handful of crunched baked blue corn chips on top!
If you can't tolerate too much heat, start with 1 teaspoon of chili powder and adjust to taste.
FREEZER OPTION: omit cheese after preparing chili. Divide into freezable containers. When needed, thaw partially in the refrigerator. Heat in saucepan, adding more water if needed. Add cheese to each serving.