Exactly one month from today, Canada will celebrate its 150th birthday on July 1st, so it seemed like a fitting time to come up with a Trim Healthy Mama-friendly Canadian Flag cake to enjoy with friends. I borrowed from my Pink Strawberry Delight recipe, using all of the same ingredients, except this time, the strawberries are used to create the maple leaf and red borders of our flag instead of being mashed up into a pink filling.
You could use any of the crust recipes in the Trim Healthy Mama Cookbook, but this utterly simple combination of just three ingredients: butter, sweetener (I used xylitol in this recipe, but you could also use half the amount in Gentle Sweet, or a quarter of the amount in Super Sweet), and almond flour, is still my very favorite.
The sour cream is interchangeable with Greek yogurt in this recipe, so if you’d like to lighten up your S dessert, you might prefer to use a 0% fat free Greek yogurt instead, or perhaps a combination of the two.
Note: American friends, this cake would make a fabulous United States of America flag, too! Just align the strawberries (or raspberries) into rows, and use a handful of blueberries to create a blue rectangle in the left hand corner. You could even use a star tip to add naturally sweetened whipped cream stars on top of your blueberries!
A perfectly wonderful way to celebrate our country's birthday without carbs or sugar! This dessert is a Trim Healthy Mama S.
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2 cups almond flour
- 2 Tbsp xylitol (OR 1 Tbsp Gentle Sweet)
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
- 2 cups sour cream (or Greek yogurt)
- 3/4 cup xylitol
- 1 1/2 Tbsp gelatin
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water
- fresh strawberries
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F. Melt butter and 2 Tbsp of xylitol together. Remove from heat and stir in almond flour. Press into a 9 x 13" baking dish. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden. Cool.
- For the filling, warm whipping cream, sour cream, and sweetener over medium heat until sweetener is dissolved. In the mean time, soften gelatin in water in a separate bowl for 1-2 minutes. Scrape gelatin mixture into very warm cream and stir until completely dissolved. Stir in lemon juice. Pour filling over crust and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Slice strawberries and arrange into a Canadian flag on top of cake before serving.