Green beans are my favorite non-starchy side. I always have a few bags of frozen ones in the freezer. Often, I’ll just boil them until tender-crisp and toss with a dab of butter and mineral salt, but after making these loaded green bean last week, I may never make them another way again!
Oozing with melted cheese, and flavored by butter, crispy bacon, garlic, Parmesan, mineral salt, ground pepper, and nutritional yeast, these loaded green beans are a fabulous substitution for poutine, or baked white potatoes!
Loaded green beans take less than 30 minutes to get on the table. All that’s required is coating them with the melted butter and seasoning, baking for 20 minutes, and then adding the mozzarella cheese and bacon crumbles before broiling for 4 more minutes.
I love serving this with a crock-pot beef roast for a super fast and easy S meal (the kids get a side of mashed potatoes with theirs). One sheet pan full of loaded green beans is just the right amount for our family size.
Alternatively, you could use asparagus spears in place of green beans. They are also a non-starchy vegetable that dress up well with cheese and bacon (what doesn’t taste good with those things??).
I use my stoneware bar pan almost exclusively for baking and cooking meats because it keeps things from drying out, but these loaded green beans are an exception. They crisp up much better if you use a metal baking sheet. You want the green beans to get a bit crispy, kind of like a French fry, and stoneware will make them too soggy.
I hope you enjoy this low-carb, keto, gluten-free side; you may not even realize you’re eating vegetables! 😀
You may never prepare them another way again after you try these Loaded Green Beans! They take just 5 minutes of prep, and are on the table in 30 minutes. Low-carb, gluten-free, keto, THM: S.
- 1 lb fresh green beans
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- mineral salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup bacon crumbles (cooked)
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Arrange green beans in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Melt butter in a small saucepan. Remove from heat and stir in minced garlic. Pour over green beans, stirring to coat. Sprinkle on salt, pepper, nutritional yeast, and Parmesan cheese. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle on mozzarella cheese and bacon crumbles. Broil for 4 more minutes or until cheese is golden and bubbly. Serve immediately.