You know those lemon bars with the shortbread-like crust, lemony filling, and a dust of icing sugar on top? That’s the recipe that inspired these Lemon Coconut Bars and I’ve got to tell you – I love this low-carb, gluten-free, sugar-free, dairy free (if you use coconut oil instead of butter) keto and Trim Healthy Mama-friendly version just as much!
This Lemon Coconut Bars could not be more simple. The “shortbread” crust is made from just 3 ingredients:
- sweetener (I used xylitol, but you can also use Gentle Sweet in half the amount)
- almond flour
Normally, I don’t like to use straight almond flour in my baking recipes, since it’s quite calorie dense. However, this Lemon Coconut Bar recipe produces 28-30 bars, so it’s really not that much almond flour per serving. Besides, the crust is perfectly shortbread-like this way!
An easy-peasy filling is made by beating together:
- sweetener (again, I used xylitol for this, but you can use Gentle Sweet in half the amount, if you prefer)
- lemon juice (fresh tastes best, but Santa Cruz bottled lemon juice works too)
- baking powder
Sprinkle on some flaked coconut and….
Lemony bars that are perfect for a snack or dessert.
Store them in an air-tight container and keep them in the fridge or freezer.
These Lemon Coconut Bars are an easy and delicious low-carb baked good that only takes a few minutes to prepare. Keto and THM S friendly. No special ingredients.
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/4 cup xylitol (OR 2 Tbsp Gentle Sweet)
- 2 cups almond flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup xylitol (OR 1/2 cup Gentle Sweet)
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup flaked coconut
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter and first amount of sweetener together. Remove from heat and stir in almond flour. Pat mixture into 9x13" baking dish. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until golden.
- Meanwhile, beat eggs, second amount of sweetener, lemon juice, and baking powder together. Pour over crust. Sprinkle flaked coconut evenly over top. Return to oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden. Cool completely.
- Cut into 28-30 bars. Store in an air-tight container in the fridge or freezer.