This recipe is for serious chocolate lovers only.
A whole crowd of them.
Rich, dark, and decadent, this Trim Healthy Mama-friendly S dessert contains no flour! It’s full of good fats, but very calorie-dense with butter, chocolate, cream, sweetener, and eggs being the main ingredients. In other words, don’t indulge in it too often; save it for special occasions (like PMS, for example….kidding! Sort of…). This dessert will satisfy all your chocolate cravings in one teeny little piece, which means the entire cake can feed up to 20 people!
Lily’s chocolate chips are not cheap, and this recipe calls for 16 ounces of them (or you can use 4 bars of 85% Lindt chocolate and increase the amount of sweetener). You’ll also need two cups of butter, which makes this dessert a bit more expensive than the others on this website, but it is so incredibly delicious and a great splurge every now and then if the budget affords!
Don’t bake this cake too much longer than the time called for, even though it may look like the middle is still uncooked. It should jiggle slightly in the center like a cheesecake when you pull it out of the oven and should sink a little as it cools to room temperature. The chocolate ganache will fill in the indentation. Remember, this is a mousse cake, so it’s more soft and creamy than fluffy and crumbly.
Enjoy it plain, or top with whipped cream and berries!
- 16 oz. Lily's chocolate baking chips (or other on-plan 55-65% dark chocolate)
- 2 cups butter
- 1 1/2 cups xylitol (or 3/4 cup Gentle Sweet)
- 1 cup half & half
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 8 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup Lily's chocolate chips (or 1 85% Lindt chocolate bar)
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 3 Tbsp xylitol (OR 1 Tbsp Gentle Sweet)
- 3 Tbsp half & half
- Melt chocolate chips, butter, sweetener, half & half, salt, and vanilla extract in a heavy saucepan over low heat, stirring frequently until well blended. Cool to room temperature. Pre-heat oven to 350 F.
- Stir lightly beaten eggs into chocolate mixture. Pour into greased 9" springform pan. Bake at 350 for 45 -50 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
- To make the ganache, melt chocolate chips, butter, half & half, and sweetener together. Stir until smooth. Spread onto cake. Refrigerate for several hours until firm.
- Run a knife along the sides of the pan and carefully remove springform. Optional: garnish with whipped cream and berries before serving.
If you don't have Lily's chocolate chips, you can use coarsely chopped 85% Lindt chocolate instead and increase the amount of sweetener to taste.