Peppers of all kind are abundant and very inexpensive this time of year at our local Farmer’s Market. I picked up a quart of jalapenos for $1.50 last week and made these incredibly easy, 4-ingredient Cream Cheese Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers as a side to our chicken wings (We love them with the Spicy Chicken Wings on pg. 164 of the Trim Healthy Mama Cookbook). They are a savory S for Trim Healthy Mamas, and require no special ingredients!
- 15-18 jalapeno peppers
- 1 8 oz. brick of cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 15-18 strips of bacon
- Preheat oven to 400. Line baking sheet with foil or parchment and set aside.
- Wearing gloves (IMPORTANT!), remove tops and slice jalapeno peppers in half. Scoop out the membranes and seeds with a spoon. Be careful not to rub your eyes or skin. Once the insides of the peppers are scraped out, you can remove your gloves.
- Beat cream and cheddar cheeses together in a separate bowl. Spoon and spread into pepper halves.
- Wrap each cheese-stuffed pepper with a strip of bacon. Use a toothpick to secure bacon.
- Set bacon-wrapped peppers on foil-lined tray and bake for 35-40 minutes, depending on how crispy you like your bacon to be.
Be sure to wear gloves when scraping out the membranes and seeds from the jalapenos and keep your hands away from your eyes and skin!
I like to buy our bacon from a butcher shop instead of the grocery store. You can ask them to cut slices to your preferred thickness, and the quality and cost is usually much better, too.
If you don't like too much heat, look for jalapenos that are smaller and have perfectly smooth skin. Jalapenos with "stretch marks" are hotter, and the ones that have turned red are the hottest.