Chicken Thighs in Creamy Tomato Spinach Sauce is a ridiculously fast and delicious Trim Healthy Mama S meal that tastes like something you’d order at a restaurant! It’s gluten-free, high in protein, and low in carbs.
Personally, I’m not a big fan of spinach, but wilted, in a sauce made of store-bought marinara, fresh garlic, basil and cream, it tastes absolutely incredible! The nice thing about wilting spinach in a sauce is that you can easily double your greens intake! Spinach shrinks a lot as it heats up, so you can consume more of the highly nutritious leaf without even realizing it.
Boneless skinless chicken thighs are the main protein source in this dish. Seared in butter with mineral salt and pepper first, and then smothered in the creamy tomato sauce and sprinkled with Mozzarella cheese, they stay tender and juicy.
This is an S meal, as it’s low in carbs and high in healthy fats. It can be served as a complete meal, or enjoy it over spaghetti squash, or even Dreamfields pasta if you’re into that.
If you want to make a quick Crossover for your hubby or kids, it’s also wonderful with garlic bread made on sourdough or sprouted bread.
You don’t need any special ingredients to make this family-pleasing dish:
- chicken thighs (boneless, skinless)
- mineral salt
- ground black pepper
- sugar-free Marinara or tomato sauce (I used Costco’s Kirkland Organic Marinara Sauce)
- heavy cream
- dried basil
- finely grated mozzarella cheese
This recipe only serves 3-4 if it’s all you’re eating. You can stretch it much further when used as a Crossover with sprouted bread for the kids! Otherwise, I’d recommend doubling the recipe if you’re feeding more than 3 people (count on 2 chicken thighs for each adult serving).
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 tsp mineral salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 cup sugar-free Marinara or tomato sauce
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 cups loosely packed fresh baby spinach leaves
- 1/3 cup finely grated mozzarella cheese
- Heat butter in a large frying pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper and add them to melted butter to sear for 7-10 minutes on each side, or until cooked through. Remove from saucepan and reserve on a plate.
- Add tomato sauce, heavy cream, minced garlic, and dried basil to drippings in saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Simmer for several minutes on low heat. Add in fresh spinach. Stir until spinach wilts. Add cooked chicken back to the saucepan. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese on each piece of chicken. Serve once the cheese has melted.
This dish is a meal in itself, but you can also serve it over spaghetti squash, zoodles, or Dreamfields pasta.
If you'd like a Crossover meal, serve with garlic bread made with a loaf of sourdough or sprouted bread!