The key to success with any plant is figuring out its needs and meeting them. Sun, soil, and water are the three main categories to help your plants flourish. Find out how much sun an aloe vera plant needs, both indoors and outdoors.
How much sun does aloe vera need: Aloe vera thrives in bright, indirect sunlight. While it can live outdoors, it is easier to create consistent growing conditions indoors, which is why it is a common houseplant. Aloe vera will not survive if it does not have enough light.
Can aloe vera get too much sun?
Even though aloe vera is a succulent that likes light, it can indeed get too much sun. This is especially true if you place your aloe vera plant near a window that gets direct sunlight.
As the sun filters through the window, it magnifies the intensity of the heat. The worst-case scenario could be the edges of your aloe vera plant becoming burnt.
Aloe vera sunlight requirements
Bright, indirect sunlight is what aloe vera plants crave. They need this all year round, which is why aloe vera is more common as a household plant than an outdoor one.
Still, if you live in a temperate climate that has temperatures that sit above 60 degrees the entire year, including at night, you can plant them outdoors.
Aloe vera water requirements
Aloe vera plants naturally live in arid climates, so they are accustomed to drought conditions. However, your plants won’t be used to this, so you will need to stick to a regular watering schedule.
Aim to water for long periods of time so the soil around the plant is soaked through. Then, let this water slowly evaporate before watering again.
This process is easier when if your aloe vera plant is outdoors. For indoor plants, keep your pot inside another container to catch any water run-off.
Quick tips for growing aloe vera indoors
- The best temperature for aloe vera is between 55 degrees and 80 degrees Fahrenheit. If you don’t have air conditioning but have hot summers, place your aloe vera in the coolest part of your home.
- Fertilizer once a month with a specialized houseplant fertilizer. You only need to add fertilizer in the spring and summer as your plant will become dormant in the winter.
- If you don’t have a bright light in your home, you can still use artificial light. To get the most benefits, keep this light on its brightest setting and keep it on for at least eight hours of the day.
- Every one to two years, you will need to repot your aloe vera plant. Once the roots become compacted, transfer your plant to a new container and add new soil to keep it healthy.
- If you want more aloe vera plants, look for offsets, also known as pups. These can be found at the base of the plant and all you need to do is cut them off to start the process of propagating them.
Quick tips for growing aloe vera outdoors
- You can leave your aloe vera plant outside during the summer months. However, once it becomes cool, around September, the overnight lows will be too drastic for your plant, so you will need to bring it inside.
- Even when you are growing an aloe vera plant outside, keep it in a container. This way, when you bring it inside, it is easier to transplant.
- Aloe vera plants don’t need direct sun but they also won’t survive in shade. Place your plant somewhere that gets morning sun but not afternoon sun as this can be too overwhelming.
- If you have planted your aloe vera in the ground, you can take advantage of this condition when watering. It’s best to water the soil deeply but only once a week so the soil has a chance to dry out.
Can aloe survive without sunlight?
Aloe vera cannot survive without sunlight. If you put it in a dark room, it will only last for a few days.
This is because aloe vera requires sunlight to help with the process of photosynthesis. Sunlight, combined with water, helps aloe vera create the energy it needs to survive.
Does aloe vera grow best in sun or shade?
The best light conditions for aloe vera include indirect sunlight. This includes ambient light inside a home.
If you have a room with a south-facing window, place your aloe vera plant off to the side so it isn’t directly in front of the window. This way, the plant will still get the benefits of light but you won’t have to worry about sunscald as the light is magnified through the window.
Will my aloe vera plant flower?
Unfortunately, aloe plants rarely flower. If they do, it doesn’t happen until the plant is fully mature.
There are a few tips you can follow if you want to increase the chance of your aloe vera plant flowering. The bright yellow or red spike is pretty phenomenal, so it’s worth trying.
The trick to getting your aloe vera plant to flower has to do with light. If there isn’t enough light around your plant, there will absolutely be no chance of a flower.
During spring and summer, when your aloe vera plant is active, you want to keep it in a warm, sunny spot. Make sure it is in a bright room with large, south-facing windows that allow as much light into the room as possible.
Water is also key if you want to see a flower. Don’t let the soil dry out but don’t add so much water that the roots drown or become soggy.
Finally, allow your aloe vera plant to rest in the winter. This period of dormancy allows the plant to recharge so that all of its energy is focused during the summertime, which is when it might bloom.
Aloe vera plants love light and warmth. You don’t have to place your aloe vera plant in direct sunlight, however. Instead, aim for plenty of hours of ambient light and a consistently warm temperature.