Our kids love blueberries, and they love French Toast, so I put the two together in a THM-friendly E breakfast. Drizzled in sugar-free syrup, this makes an easy deliciously sweet, warm breakfast that hits the spot!
Sprouted bread slices (Canadians, Loblaw stores carry a brand called Stonemill that bakes wonderful loaves of bread which have undergone a 48 hour fermentation) are soaked in an egg/nut milk mixture overnight and baked in the morning.
Since this is an E meal, you can freely swap out the blueberries for any other berry, or try it with apples, peaches, or pears! Fresh or frozen, both work well.
- 1 cup egg whites
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cashew milk (or almond milk)
- 1/3 cup xylitol
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 8-10 slices sprouted bread
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- In a large bowl, whisk egg whites, cashew milk, xylitol, cinnamon, and vanilla extract together. Add slices of bread to egg/milk mixture, making sure they all get coated. Refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease a 7x11" baking pan with coconut oil cooking spray or a teaspoon of butter. Arrange half the slices of bread on the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle on 1 1/2 cups of berries. Lay the remaining slices on top and sprinkle with remaining berries.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
Serve with sugar-free syrup.
Blueberries can be replaced with apples, peaches, pears or any other berry!