These chicken quesadillas are one of my favorite dinners to prepare. They are incredibly easy and everybody enjoys them! Plus, you can make these quesadillas a Trim Healthy Mama S, E, or Crossover depending on whether or not you use cheese and how many you have.
I LOVE cheese, and I love dipping them into cilantro infused sour cream, so I serve them as an S meal. As long as you limit your self to 2 quesadillas (equivalent to one low-carb wrap) you’re safely in S territory. Joseph’s low carb wraps are great, but if you’re Canadian, you probably have to buy them online. I can usually find Flatout wraps at our local Wal-Mart and Farm Boy.
If you eat more than 2 quesadillas, and you’ll be crossing fuels.
If you skip the cheese altogether, use chicken breast for your meat, and a whole-grain or sprouted wrap instead of a low-carb wrap, you have a perfect E meal.
You’ll want to use a sugar-free salsa and a sugar-free taco seasoning to keep this recipe Trim Healthy Mama compliant. I really like Pace’s sugar-free salsa which I can find locally. (American friends, I’ve heard great things about 1st Sgt. cooking salsa!). Los Chileros makes a wonderful, sugar-free taco seasoning, if you prefer to use a mix. Otherwise, you can make your own (Darcie and Gwen have great recipes!)
I like to make these quesadillas the day after making chicken soup with chicken I reserved.
You’ll get 12 quesadillas from this recipe. Each wrap is folded in half, then cut in half after cooking. At 2 per serving, you’ll have enough for 6 people.
This cheesy chicken quesadillas are perfect for a busy week night when you're feeling pressed for time. They can be served as a THM S, E, or XO. Pick your setting and enjoy!
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 1/2 green pepper, diced
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 2/3 cup sugar-free salsa
- 3 Tbsp + 1 tsp Taco seasoning
- 2 cups Monterrey Jack cheese, grated
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 6 low-carb wraps
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- In a non-stick skillet, heat chicken, peppers, salsa, and 3 Tbsp Taco seasoning over medium heat until peppers are slight soft. Set aside.
- Butter one side of each wrap. Place wraps buttered side down on baking sheet. Divide and
- sprinkle cheeses evenly on half of each wrap.
- Spoon chicken mixture on top of cheese. Fold wrap in half. Sprinkle remaining Taco seasoning on top of quesadilla.
- Bake at 375 F for 10-11 min or until cheese starts bubbling and top looks golden. Serve with sour cream, salsa, or guacamole. Garnish with fresh cilantro.
As long as you limit your self to 2 quesadillas (equivalent to one low-carb wrap) you're safely in S territory.
If you eat more than 2 quesadillas, and you'll be eating a Crossover.
If you skip the cheese altogether and use chicken breast for your meat, you have a perfect E meal and can eat more than 2 in a sitting.