This is Brad’s favorite chili. He will eat it for a week straight and swoon over the last bite, just as much as the first. I finally wrote down the recipe while I was making it last week because every time someone asks me for it, I usually respond with, “Well, I used ground beef, add a few red and green peppers, some garlic, diced tomatoes, chili powder…”
“Okay, but how much of everything?”
“I have no idea.”
Now that problem is fixed.
This chili is a Trim Healthy Mama S (so you can load on the sour cream and cheese), but you can easily make it an E by substituting lean ground chicken for the beef, adding more beans, and serving it with baked corn chips instead.
(Don’t worry; an official Trim Healthy Mama admin confirmed for me that there are not enough black beans in a serving to put you in Crossover mode. Yay!)
This is my husband's FAVORITE chili, so it's named in honor of him. 🙂 It's also a ridiculously easy S!
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 2 red peppers, diced
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1/4 cup taco seasoning
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- 2 small (15 oz) cans of black beans
- 2 700ml jars (approx.) sugar-free salsa
- 2 700ml jars (approx.) sugar-free tomato pasta sauce
- In a large stock pot, fry ground beef and peppers together until meat is cooked through.
- Drain off excess fat and return to heat. Add garlic, chili powder, and taco seasoning. Cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Simmer for at least an hour.
- Serve with sour cream and grated cheese.
You can change the meat to lean ground chicken for an E chili, add more beans, and serve with baked Tostito chips instead of sour cream and cheese.